Friday, April 17, 2009

Gift Medallion Chains of Honor



Before I left for Artfest I made a focal bead, with the word 'ART' in the center, wings on the sides and some faceted gemstone beads for hanging it that were a gift from a favorite vendor. I didn't have time to make the chain, but I wanted to wear it to the first day of class, before I had a chance to create something new.


When I arrived at Artfest and the trades began, I got lots of goody bags with ephemera, beads, charms and other goodies inside. So I issued myself a challenge, to create the chain for the focal using things that were new, and given to me as trades at Artfest.


The idea was to make the finished piece a memento of the trip, with things that were part of the Artfest experience, given to me by other people there.


My roommate Stacie gave me a gear, and the heart medal dangle that I attached to the chain.


The goldtone glass beads and carved ivory-looking roses were in a package of ephemera, along with the round disk I added to the chain.


The golden cupid was also a gift from Stacie, and together with the conch shell began to tell the story of the piece, as I learned that conch shells are sacred in Tibetan art.


It became a medal of honor and distinction, with the love and creativity embodied from the whole Artfest experience.


I love how it turned out, and the serendipity effect of not deliberately needing to select the items, and the fact that most were gifts. My Artfest Medallion of Honor that I wear quite often, with great happiness and pleasure!

2 comments:

SummersStudio said...

Lynn, I've really been enjoying following along with your Art Fest experience. It is just as inspiring as I find all of your work.

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Thank you, LeAnn, because I wonder sometimes if anyone is finding their way here to see what a fabulous experience it was ... I'm glad you are here following along.